International Association for Coptic Studies
Association Internationale d'Études Coptes
Sapienza Università di Roma, Dipartimento di Storia Culture Religioni - Institutum Patristicum Augustinianum - Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana
Tenth International Congress of Coptic Studies
Rome, 17-22 September 2012
|Giuseppe Assemani||Stefano Borgia|
The Tenth International Congress of Coptic Studies will take place in Rome from Monday 17 to Saturday 22 September 2012. The Congress will be hosted at first atSapienza University of Rome (Monday, opening session), then, from Tuesday to Thursday, in the Institutum Patristicum Augustinianum, and finally, on Friday, in the Vatican Library, near Saint Peter's Basilica.
Information about the Programme
The program will be arranged as follows:
- 1. Plenary sessions, during which invited specialists will give reports on recent developments in the major domains of Coptic studies, according to the following (alphabetical) list:
- Alessandro Bausi, Ethiopic literary production related to the Egyptian culture
- Heike Behlmer, Coptic Literature (2008-2012)
- Heinzgerd Brakmann, Coptic Liturgy (2004-2012)
- Andrew Crislip, Shenoutean studies
- Alain Delattre, Documentary papyrology (2008-2012)
- James E. Goehring, Egyptian Monasticism (2008-2012)
- Karel C. Innemée, Coptic Archaeology (2008-2012)
- Gertrud J.M. van Loon, Coptic Art (2008-2012)
- Tonio Sebastian Richter, Coptic Linguistics (2008-2012)
- Sofía Torallas Tovar, Coptic Codicology and Palaeography (2004-2012)
- Gregor Wurst, Gnosticism and Manichaeism (2008-2012)
- 2. Short papers by IACS members and other scholars, which should not exceed 20 minutes in length; these papers, which will be accepted if an abstract is provided in advance (new deadline: June 15, 2012), will be presented in four or five parallel sessions, grouped according to the main fields of Coptic studies.
- 3. Workshops or panels devoted to special themes which have been prepared in advance by a group of scholars. All those who are interested in organizing a workshop or a panel should contact three or more scholars so as to form a panel and then inform the Congress Secretary as soon as possible.
The congress will be closed by the business meeting of the IACS, on Saturday, 22 September, at 9.15.
Here you will find the programme, updated on September 7th, 2012, in its final form.
Here you will find the changes to this same programme, announced to the organizing committe only after the publication of the booklet.
A booklet with the list of Panels and Abstracts will be available on the first day of the Congress, September 17th, 2012.
NEW: Publication of the Proceedings
A selection of the papers presented during the Congress will be published after a peer-reviewing process, which will take into consideration not only the scientific aspect of the text but also the linguistic accuracy and perspicuity.
As for other Congresses of Coptic Studies, Peeters has offered the possibility to publish the proceedings of the Tenth International Congress of Coptic Studies in one of its series, "Orientalia Lovaniensia Analecta". Here you will find the guidelines for the authors. The text is to be sent to Alberto Camplani before March 31, 2013 (firstname.lastname@example.org).
NEW: Catalogue of the exhibition
The catalogue of the little exhibition of Coptic manuscripts which will take place on Friday, September 21st, 2012, has been published two weeks before the opening of the Congress.
Participants are offered the opportunity to purchase the catalogue at a discounted price (Euros 35,00, instead of Euro 70,00):
Coptic Treasures from the Vatican Library: A selection of Coptic, Copto-Arabic
and Ethiopic Manuscripts. Papers collected on the occasion of the Tenth
International Congress of Coptic Studies, edited by Paola Buzi and Delio Vania
Proverbio, Città del Vaticano, Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana, 2012 (Studi e
testi, 472). See the cover and the index.
NEW: Presidential address
Here you will find the Presidential Address delivered by the President of the IACS, Anne Bou'hors, on September 17, 2012, Sapienza University of Rome.
Registration and Updating
The registration is closed. See http://www.copticcongress2012.uniroma1.it/form_new.php.
To update your information about your paper (title, abstract, thematic
section), please click here.
If you have forgotten the number of your
registration, please send a message to CopticCongress2012@uniroma1.it
For information about accommodation of the participants and location of the sites see here.
The receipts of payment of the Congress fees will be provided to the participants the first day of the Congress.
A few travel grants of Euro 500,00 each have been attributed by "COMSt - Comparative Oriental Manuscript Studies" networking project to young scholars who will attend the Tenth International Congress of Coptic Studies presenting a paper on one of the following subjects: manuscript studies, codicology, philology. For details please visit COMSt web site:
Organizing Committee: Paola Buzi, Alberto Camplani, Tito Orlandi
Organizing Staff: Paola Buzi, Alberto Camplani, Federico Contardi, Alessandro Conti
Congress Secretary: Alberto Camplani
Email of the Congress: CopticCongress2012@uniroma1.it